Saturday, September 10, 2011

End of the World Weather Messes With Orange County

Hail a half-inch big was reported in North Mission Viejo
(image via Patch.com user Erin Piller)
I had read that the Society of Hispanic Historical and Ancestral Research was going to do a presentation on the early California families in Orange County. It was meant to happen this morning at the Orange Multi-Regional Family History Center, in Orange. I had invited my dad to go with me, since we are both into Latino history and the social aspect of Latino history currently fascinates me.

This particular presentation was going to talk about the clothes, music and dance of the early California inhabitents that pretty much owned Orange County before the Mexican-American war broke that up.

Or at least that's what I think happened. I can't confirm that for sure because we ended up not going, so I lost my opportunity to find out from the experts. Why? Well, a little old thing like rain. In tandem with lightning. Followed by house-shaking thunder. Finished by hail.

For a week that started off in a heat wave, it ended (for me anyway) in an Epic Fail as I called my dad and said we should call off trudging twenty miles across Orange County in a freak storm just to be on the safe side. I figured we can go the next time the Society does another such event.

And about ten minutes after we hung up, it stopped raining. Typical. It's been a beautiful day otherwise, but it seems like there's more rain in the forecast for tomorrow. Should I make plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment