Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thai Kitchen

Thai Kitchen in Irvine is worth a try if you're not in a hurry
(image via Yelp reviewer Jennifer T.)
Every day on my way to and from work, I've driven pass Thai Kitchen in Irvine. It was always on my to-do list of places to try out, but the fact that they only open for dinner made it seem impossible.

Finally, one night it's neon sign was ablaze with temptation and I could resist no longer. I had read the Yelp reviews which were lukewarm (they scored the restaurant 3.5 out of 5 stars), so when I went inside and stood around for a few minutes waiting for service, I was not surprised.

The most common complaint was how slow the service was, and it does seem that one server to attend to the guests in the dining room as well as the few of us that were ordering take-out was not enough person to go around. I felt bad for one guy who had ordered his food ahead of time and still ended up waiting.

It took about 15 minutes to get my Pad Thai with tofu, and cost about ten dollars. Not bad. The portion was pretty big, and tasted fresh. I later read a lot of people on Yelp saying that the food was just okay, but I liked it. Do I like it enough to go again?  That I don't know, all the elements would have to come in place again: available parking (it can fill up pretty fast), a somewhat empty restaurant, and the patience to wait.

Would I recommend it? If you have time, patience, and a love of Thai - absolutely!

Thai Kitchen
4250 Barranca Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92604

No comments:

Post a Comment